View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
A must read for all other 51 gaming divisions! 

Roster changes are bad.

Here is my rant on why:

When you have a small group of people on a team you'll always have:

A weak link (frag wise or smarts)
A lazy guy who never gets in the server
A guy with poor communication or a bad attitude
A guy with priorities that are more important to him than gaming (i.e. school, girl, job)
A guy who just wants to play for fun...none of this ultra serious stuff.
A guy who wont want to practice.

There is always going to be people to blame for losses. The reality of the situation is that there is no perfect team or teammate and the next guy you pick up to replace your "problem child" will just bring a new set of problems. If he doesn't then someone else will. The point is: SOMEONE WILL TAKE THE SPOT OF BEING THE TEAM DOUCHE BAG"

Oh leader of the gaming squad, you have TWO CHOICES:

1. play with your shitty frustrating friends who play this game for fun

or

2. Rotate new 3rd's, 4th's and 5th's into your lineup that might be better than your current guys but it is very stressful and it will take its toll on you. Those players will leave just as fast as you picked them up and you'll never keep a set five for more than a season. In the grand scheme of things I've played 8 years of competitive play and a season (3 months) used to seem like a long time but in reality it is just a blip on the radar.

Neither option looks great but the first one allows you to play with your friends. It won't be any less stressful out of game but if you can keep from doing ANY roster changes you will enjoy the game you play more than you could possibly imagine. WHY? Because you play your best when you don't have to think about what you're doing and that only happens when you've built chemistry with your team. The only problem is that you lose your pimp hand because you can't just cut someone when they don't show up or do what you want. You must learn a whole new set of leadership and motivational skills. Consider it practice for marriage because you'll have to apply the same give and take within your relationship.

I've pulled countless players from their clique's and tried to get them to play on our team for a long period of time but it rarely works. Team chemistry comes from being friends outside of the game you compete in.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:49 pm

agree 100%

many of us have been playing together since cod1. We know each others' strengths and weaknesses (i for one, can't play with pants on....it's my fatal flaw, but i deal with it. Pants are my cryptonite).

I've played with other teams for various games that have no area51 representation, but always find myself back in the group of regulars.

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:23 pm
Management

A leader's job often includes changing your people's attitudes and behavior. Some suggestions to accomplish this:
Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
Let the other person save face.
Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."
Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

-Dale Carnegie

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:07 pm

should tell all of that to ntox blazn ;O

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 pm
Management

Eso wrote:
agree 100%

many of us have been playing together since cod1. We know each others' strengths and weaknesses (i for one, can't play with pants on....it's my fatal flaw, but i deal with it. Pants are my cryptonite).

I've played with other teams for various games that have no area51 representation, but always find myself back in the group of regulars.

AKA no LANs for Eso.

Great post with lots of words of wisdom James.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 am
Profile WWW

I agree with James but he left one out...

"the guy who is too old to be on the team but still can hang with the young kids.... sometimes."

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:20 am

a tear just came to my eye!!!

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]